Location: They are gone
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the development of emerging technologies and business solutions. Specifically, this role will be a key contributor to the expansion of Xylem’s current India Technology Center. Reporting to the Manager, Transport – M&C Group at ITC – (Vadodara), this critical role will support Xylem Transport in advancing the technology curve, from a component supplier to a systems supplier, providing integrated products and intelligent solution offers. The preferred candidate conducts/participates in embedded software development for research, design, development, testing and use of information processing hardware and/or electrical components, mechanisms, materials, circuitry, processes, and as a minor subset, packaging and cabinetry , for processors. , storage and/or communication of data.
- Perform technical feasibility studies and embedded software design and development
- Simulate, analyze subsystems to evaluate product and design concepts
- Design and develop Firmware application and Communication protocols in C & C++
- Participate in FMEA and risk assessment activities
- Follows standard R&D software guidelines for creating code, documenting code, storing code, testing, and implementing software, in the field as needed.
- Help OEMs and end-users implement their specific software requirements
- Interface as needed with product management, customers, marketing and sales to provide technical guidance on products developed.
- Stay well informed of new features and products/services. Be proactive in understanding product/service roadmaps and the implications of new features with fellow engineers or self-training.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
A) Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
- 4-Year bachelor’s degree / 4 + 2-Year Master’s degree in Electronics & Communication
- 2-5 Years in Embedded software/firmware development
B) Describe the most important skills the individual needs
- Expert in FW designs with Object-oriented C++ language
- Application programming experience using Embedded Linux or RTOS
- Good understanding of Make/CMake, build system, OS concepts
- Hands-on with stacks like TCP/IP, UDP, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, I2C & SPI
- Hands-on experience in interfacing sensors, motor control, electromechanical systems
- Knowledge of version control tools such as BitBucket, Git, or SVN
- Agile methodologies and Scrum, experience with tools like JIRA & Confluence
- Expert in board bring-up, hardware interfacing firmware debugging (manual & auto), unit and system testing & root-cause analysis
C) Describe the most important skills the individual needs
- Adaptive learner – Learn quickly; applies knowledge from one domain to another, asking questions, following procedures but also challenging ways of doing things when appropriate. Always be curious and arm yourself with all sources of technical, market, competitor and customer information.
- Innovative Thinking – Creates exciting new products, systems or solutions that solve real-world customer problems and anticipate customer needs by challenging assumptions, thinking outside the box, creating new new ideas, experimentation and willingness to take risks, scanning other fields for new ideas, using existing technology and always looking for ways to do things better good.
- Cross-Boundary Collaborator – Collaborates effectively within his own team and across functional, business, geographic, and cultural boundaries, demonstrating a willingness to work with others, share information and understand and apply different points of view . Actively shares views and necessary information with others in a timely and direct manner, helping others achieve their goals. Effectively works within matrixed organizations across Xylem and collaborates on solutions that best address the larger organization as well as local team goals. Demonstrates sensitivity to interpersonal and cultural differences by adapting his own communication and work style appropriately, and acting in a respectful, inclusive manner across geographic, cultural, functional, and organizational boundaries.
- Solution Design – Optimizing solutions for the customer based on specification, balancing multiple variables to create designs that meet customer needs and translating the customer’s spoken and unspoken needs into compelling designs.
- Systems Thinking – Looks at cause and effect relationships in complex systems, looks at connections between variables, deconstructs complex system problems into discrete elements, looks at challenges in it does not yet become issues, understands the effects of what-if situations and actions on products, systems, and customer applications.
- Technical Problem Solving – Solving complex technical problems with precision, distinguishing symptoms from root causes, using all available tools, methods and resources, and continuing to face obstacles
- Planning and Process Orientation – Demonstrates an understanding of the complexity and risks involved in building products and systems and how all components come together from design through manufacturing, anticipates issues, demonstrates a thorough knowledge of dependencies, and deploy successful mitigation strategies to effectively manage project plans, budgets and schedules. Drives the project with enthusiasm and confidence, remains motivated in the face of setbacks and keeps the team motivated and aligned with the goal. Encourages productive discussions that lead to innovation while maintaining the necessary discipline to move the project forward within the defined scope. Establishes realistic commitments, and influences all parties to meet commitments with regular, consistent follow-up conversations.
- Leading People and Teams – Effectively communicates Xylem’s vision and translates it into actions that advance the vision within own organization, and establishes appropriate performance standards and measures to achieve it, motivating and motivates others, and aligns goals and resources. Promotes individual and team accomplishments in a timely manner while holding individual members accountable for results. Ensure that work is delegated to the lowest appropriate career stages and levels and allow teams/groups to make independent decisions by creating the appropriate environment for effective decision making. Selects and promotes appropriate skills and capabilities aligned with the organization’s mission to assemble high performing teams while ensuring team diversity is maintained and leveraged.
- Encourages accountability – Accepts responsibility for own actions, results, and subsequent learning. Demonstrates drive and willingness to challenge the status quo. Aligns words with action: follows through on commitments, and communicates openly and proactively when commitments are not kept. Communicates with candor and conviction: looks, “talks” especially when disagreeing. Don’t let passive resistance take hold of the organization. Engages in constructive conflict; discusses issues openly and honestly, thinking with good intentions, seeks positive resolution while not allowing issues to linger or drag on. Seeks different perspectives to see multiple sides of an issue, reframing problems to better understand issues and bring out different perspectives.
Other: Comment on items not included above
- Working Conditions
- Electrical testing laboratories, high voltage potential.
- Pump controls and test machines and rooms, high voltage potentials, mechanical hazards (moving machinery), high temperature hazards (hot metal, sparks)
- Occasional travel, domestic and international
- Resilience and Adaptability
- Able to work with a cross-functional team
- Adapting to work in different work cultures, time zones.
- Lots of lab testing, moving small equipment, and more.